27 August, 2009

Festival Staff profile - Jo Michel



We caught up with Jo Michel, Ticket Services Manager for Hub Tickets.

What is your job title and what does your position involve?
My job title is Ticket Services Manager - Hub Tickets. Hub Tickets is a subsidiary company within the Edinburgh Festival Centre and it is responsible for managing ticket sales for the Edinburgh International Festival, The Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival, The Edinburgh Mela Festival, The Festival of Politics, The Festival of Spirituality and Peace, East Neuk Festival and many other events year round. We have a full time team of 5 which expands during the summer months to 30 staff.

How did you come to work for the Edinburgh International Festival?
Originally from Sydney, Australia and have worked in the Ticketing Industry for the past 20 years. Just prior to coming to Edinburgh I worked at Sydney Theatre Company under the direction of Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton. My previous work on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe gave me a love of the city and when I saw the job advertised I just had to apply. I was very lucky to get it and have the opportunity to work in Edinburgh again.


What is the best part of your job?

The best part of the job is the diversity, I get to deal with the organizers of many and varied events during the year and each one is different. Even within the Edinburgh International Festival my role has many diverse parts to it. I look after the ticketing needs for each department, Sponsorship, Programme Development, Artist Liaison, Marketing and Technical which mean I also have to understand what their individual requirements are and also the needs of their clients.

What is the most challenging part of your job?
Prioritising during the festival period. Dealing with so many departments and festivals during the summer means that everyone wants your attention and it is always urgent. IT is really important to stay calm and deal with things as efficiently and swiftly as you can so everyone is happy.

What has been your most memorable Festival experience so far?
2008 was my first festival and my favourite events last year were Chunky Move’s - Mortal Engine and Matthew Bourne’s Dorian Gray. Both were visually stunning and exciting nights in the theatre.

Which Festival 09 events have you been most looking forward to and why?
This year I am really looking forward to Optimism by Malthouse Theatre, partly because I know the writer and cast so can’t wait to see them. Other than this The Last Witch looks fascinating as does Faust. I also want to see the Friel series – can you tell I love theatre!

What are your words of advice to those at Festival 09?

Stay Calm – I like to think that it will all get done when it needs to if you manage to keep positive and not panic.

Describe the Edinburgh International Festival in 3 words?
Unique, Intriguing and Surprising.

No comments: