28 July, 2010

A day in the life of...Head of Programme Development, Sally Hobson



Head of Programme Development, Sally Hobson talks negotiating a bustling Royal Mile to get to work and reveals what she is looking forward to at Festival 2010.

Can you give a brief overview of your role at EIF?
I work at the Festival as Head of Programme Development. I look after events that extend the reach of the Festival’s programme. My portfolio includes defining and delivering our schools work in Edinburgh for primary and secondary schools.

How long have you worked at the Festival?
I have worked here since 1994 and this will be my 17th Festival.

What is the best/most challenging part of your job?
The most challenging part of my job is meeting deadlines and the pressure of the job. The hardest part is negotiating the walk along the Royal Mile when its busy.

The best parts of the job include working with my colleagues, the school pupils responses and our artists who deliver the programme year round as well as in August.

What do you do on a day to day basis?
I work with all departments at the Festival in different ways throughout the year.

What did you do before joining the Festival?
I worked with the Citizens’ Theatre and various arts organisations in Scotland and England. Alongside this I trained and worked as a therapist with experience of working in England and Scotland, specifically Easterhouse and Royston in Glasgow.

What do you get up to outside of work?
I write poetry and theatre productions. I have undertaken SAC funded projects in writing development and had produced work in various venues in Scotland. I swim a lot, and walk all over the place. I have an 18 year son whom I talk to occasionally. I go to the cinema and hang-out with friends.

Which events are you most looking forward to at the Festival 2010?
Mahler 3, Pina Bausch and Mau. The day after the Festival is all over is a wonderful feeling too! The weight of delivering a large programme lifts and for a while there is space in the city again!

No comments: