12 August, 2010

A day in the life of...Artistic Administrator, Matthew Studdert-Kennedy



Artistic Administrator, Matthew Studdert-Kennedy, talks about his past life of teaching and why he's a people person...

Can you give a brief overview of your role at EIF?
I’m the Festival’s Artistic Administrator. Throughout the year I help devise the Festival programme (particularly the music programme) and at Festival time I help deliver it.

How long have you worked at the Festival?
I joined the Festival team in December 2006 so Festival 2010 is my fourth.

What is the best/most challenging part of your job?
We work with a great many exceptional artists and performers who we bring to Edinburgh and this is both the best and most challenging part of my job. Some are more demanding than others but I like people and enjoy working with them all.

What do you do on a day to day basis?
Throughout the year I work on our detailed programming and forward planning. At Festival time I try to make sure that everything is going to plan which means I probably go to more rehearsals than I do performances.

What did you do before joining the Festival?
I had many jobs simultaneously all involved with music: performing, teaching at the University of Edinburgh and St Mary’s Music school, managing a chamber music group and devising and delivering music education projects.

What do you get up to outside of work?
I have a little baby girl who fills my days up fantastically.

Which events are you most looking forward to at the Festival 2010?
The Gospel at Colonus, The Sun Also Rises, The Concertgebouw, the SCO playing Les Elémens by Rebel and Llŷr Williams playing Charles Ives’ Concord Sonata.

No comments: